Mission and NG Art Gallery was founded in Chippendale in 2007 and hosts the unique vision of renowned art dealer Nicky Ginsberg by combining award winning food with art.
The restaurant is named ‘Mission’ for the Sydney City Missionaries who first occupied the spectacular Gothic Revival-style church, later remodelled by local architect Jason Blake. The NG Art Gallery is perfectly accommodated in the upstairs loft displaying the country's most celebrated artists, alongside its budding new talent.
Downstairs, Mission Restaurant Bar is fast gaining an impressive reputation. Our style exudes a passion for traditional Mediterranean favourites, presented with a twist. We create robust, rustic dishes of astonishing flavour featuring the finest in seasonal and locally sourced ingredients.
The combination of an art space and contemporary eatery in this edgy inner city suburb immediately struck a chord with locals and Sydney’s fooderati alike. Soon after celebrating its first anniversary, Mission won inclusion in the SMH Good Food Guide, and has remained there ever since.
The fusion of art and food extends to the popular Feast for the Senses dinners which provide unique discussions with great artists and local personalities, whilst indulging in a stunning three course meal themed for the occasion.
Mission's menu boasts chicken liver parfait with caramelised
eshallots & chargrilled bread, Moroccan lamb shank tagine with
apricots & cous cous and pan roasted fish with caramlised fennel,
hazelnuts & sage butter. There are many tempting options for every palette and mood!
MISSION ALSO OFFERS:
• Lunch & Dinner Menu
• Saturday Brunch Menu
• Christmas Hampers Mix & match Art & Food Hampers.
• Takeaway Menu
• Mission Products
• Outside Catering Menu. Offering platters of delectable sandwiches, antipasto and nibbles
• Cocktail Happy Hour. Two for one cocktails between 5-7pm, Tuesday to Saturday.
To view the cocktail menu click here.
• Art Workshops. Patrons unleash their creativity with the help of professional artists, and partake of a lunch or dinner provided by Mission.
• Private Functions. Whether it's a boardroom lunch, business conference, cocktail party, birthday, engagement or wedding contact Mission today! Click here to view the function menu.
• Altruistic Endeavours. Following the example set by their historical predecessors, NG Art Gallery and Mission Restaurant Bar continue to support charities with exhibitions such as There is No Place Like Home (Mission Australia), Fragile Planet (Australian Conservation Foundation), Food for the Future (Oz Harvest) and Waiting - A Still Life (MS Research Australia).
With changing exhibitions every three weeks, Mission and NG Art enhances Chippendale's reputation as the new gallery precinct and also provides a quality eatery for local businesses and residents.
Acclaimed by critics and customers alike, Mission and NG Art Gallery continues to make its mark amongst the most discerning lovers of art and food in one of the world’s most celebrated cities for gastronomy.
Ginsberg's philosophy is to create an inviting second home for patrons - a meeting place, a place to eat and drink, and to share thoughts and ideas.
We invite you to enjoy!
VIEW MISSION PRESS
Sydney Morning Herald Good Living Review (pdf download)
Inner West Courier Restaurant Review (pdf download)
Click here to watch Foxtel's Lifestyle Channel interview featuring NG Art Gallery & Mission Restaurant & Bar. (MP4 7.6MB)
Click here to read the Side Street Sydney review of Mission Restaurant and Bar.